Check-in / check-out times
Check-in time is 2.00 pm (gate closes at 9.00pm, no exceptions)
Check-out time is 11.00 am (gate opens at 6.00am, no exceptions)
We try as much as possible to adapt the day's program to your individual arrival and departure times. However, at high occupancy we must adhere to our strict times in the interest of all guests. Check-out times are binding. For late arrivals to participate in the afternoon game drive is no longer possible.
Our game drives take place in the Madikwe Game Reserve (Big 5 Reserve) under the guidance of qualified rangers in three open landcruisers. The allocation of the guests to the vehicles is under the responsibility of the Ranger. We consider the customer wishes as much as possible, in order to ensure that groups and families stay together, and that there will be sufficient space on each vehicle. The maximum number of guests on a vehicle is 7 (seven), so that the middle seat will be left free, for the comfort of the guests. In order to respond to exceptional situations such as unexpected unavailability of a vehicle or the wish of bigger groups or families staying together, we maintain the right of using the maximum capacity of 10 (ten) guests per vehicle.
Morning game drive departs from reception between 5.00am (January) and 6.30am (July). Afternoon game drive departs after High Tea between 3.00pm (July) and 4.30pm (January). Please note that the departing times of game drives are subject to seasonal changes and depend on weather conditions. Exact departing times are communicated to the guest at check-in.
Children of all ages are welcome at Rhulani Safari Lodge. Children under 12 are permitted on safari at the sole discretion of the field guide. Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on safari, except if on a private vehicle. Even on private vehicle safety needs to be considered and it remains the ranger’s decision whether certain sightings can be viewed whilst accompanied by small children. A bumble drive can be organized for smaller children not joining game drives.
Rhulani offers a complimentary children’ s kit. There is a kiddie’s corner equipped with toys and DVD’s. We offer a children’s menu option.
Babysitting service is available at an extra cost.
Payment terms and conditions
A 20% deposit of the above total amount is required to confirm any reservation. Full payment of the balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. Bookings within 30 days require full payment upfront.
Payment can either be made by credit card or can be directly deposited in our bank account. Should you choose to pay via credit card, please note that we require a letter of authorization stating that we are entitled to deduct payment off the credit card, as well as the cardholder‘s signature and a copy (back and front) of the credit card.
Should you decide to pay via bank transfer, please remember to fax a copy of the deposit slip to +27 (0) 86 6418 117 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please enter only booking number as reference).
Our bank account details are as follow:
Branch: Business Westrand
Universal Branch Code: 128605
SWIFT Code: NEDSZAJJ
Account name: RHULANI Safari Lodge (Pty) Ltd.
Account number: 1286048613
Credit arrangements are on application only. Unless approved, all group and FIT reservations will be on a prepayment basis as outlined above. All payments must be made in ZAR (SOUTH AFRICAN RANDS).
Should payment not be timeously received, the lodge reserves the right to automatically cancel the reserved accommodation and at the same time reserve the right to cancel or refuse to accept further bookings.
All reservations, changes and cancellations must be made directly with the reservations office and in writing via e-mail to email@example.com. The following cancellation terms and conditions will apply to reservations, which are cancelled in part or in full, as follows:
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to arrival: 20% of the total amount will be due
- Cancellation between 29 and 15 days prior to arrival: 50% of the total amount will be due
- Cancellation between 14 and 0 days prior to arrival: 100% of the total amount will be due
In case of changes or cancellation of a transfer included in this rate, special terms and conditions by the respective provider will apply.
Special Cancellation Provision due to Coronavirus COVID-19
If your visit to Rhulani Safari Lodge cannot be carried out as a result of the Coronavirus COVID-19, you have the right to change the date of your stay. The following conditions apply:
1. If traveling is not possible due to Coronavirus COVID-19, you can postpone your travel free of charge. Acceptable reasons are:
- Infection with the COVID-19 virus of one or more travel participants, or
- Ban on leaving the country or city of origin, or
- Entry ban of the country of origin in South Africa, or
- No availability of transport options because of Coronavirus COVID-19, or
- Ordered (not voluntary) quarantine or isolation
- Traveling is not possible at the time of asking for a reschedule and check-in date is within 30 days
2. If there is no reason for postponement in accordance with inc. 1 above, we allow you to reschedule your booking under the following conditions:
- The original travel date is less than 6 months in the future
- A reduced cancellation penalty of 10% of the value of your original booking will apply.
3. In both cases, the new travel date must be within 12 months of the original travel date. The new travel date can be communicated at a later stage. Rhulani Safari Lodge cannot guarantee availability on the new travel date. In the case of a higher tariff on the new travel date, the price difference will be charged. The deposit you have paid for the original booking (minus the cancellation penalty in case of inc. 2) will be allocated to the rescheduled booking.
4. This Special Provision applies to all rebooking requests from 19 May 2020.
All changes of confirmed bookings, such as partial cancellation, shortening the journey or date shift, are subject to the cancellation policy. In such cases, however, we try to find a solution within our possibilities.
Guaranteed reservations that fail to arrive are subject to a 100% ‘ no-show’ fee on the booked value.
Departure prior to check-out date
Guests checking out prior to the scheduled departure date are not entitled to receive a refund for the nights not used. Exceptions can be made in case that Rhulani Safari Lodge fails to provide promised essential services, such as non-availability of confirmed room category, impossibility to conduct the scheduled game drives or cancellation of meals. The following circumstances are not considered as failure to provide essential services: Bad weather conditions, rescheduled game drives because of weather, unstable or unavailable guest internet, quality of food, dissatisfaction with room infrastructure or cleanliness, or quality of game viewing.
- No pets allowed
- All firearms need to be declared at the Main Gate
- It is important to drive carefully and be aware of village pedestrians, domestic animals and children.
- Speed limit in the park is 40km per hour
Any gratuities are much appreciated. Cash tips are normally given in South African Rand or American dollars. We allow tipping by credit card. The figures bellow represent suggested minimum amounts -- if you receive exceptional service, a greater tip is always appreciated!
Rangers: R150 (USD 10) per guest per day in a shared vehicle. Therefore, if you are with 5 people in your party and stay at the lodge for 3 nights, you would tip the individual R2,250 (USD 150). Please tip your ranger separately, as we have a “staff pool” for any other staff.
Other staff: R150 (USD 10) per guest per day.