Travelling to Rhulani in your own car
Our GPS co-ordinates are:
- S24° 46’ 58.44” / E26° 11’ 13.56”
- Please travel to the Madikwe Game Reserve via main roads as described below and follow the signs to Rhulani within the reserve
- look for "Rhulani, South Africa" in Googlemaps
Travelling by road from Johannesburg & OR Tambo Int'l Airport to Rhulani (download a printable version here)
- From Johannesburg city: head north on the N1 (to Polokwane) towards N4 / From Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport: exit airport and take R21 on the left to Pretoria, merge with N1 (to Polokwane) towards the N4 - Distance: 58 km
- Take N4 West (to Rustenburg) and pass Rustenburg, Swartruggens to Zeerust - Distance 237 km
- In Zeerust, at the "STOP 3" sign turn right at President Street, merge immediately with R49
- Follow the R49 towards Gaborone; when arriving at Madikwe Game Reserve pass the first gate (Abjaterskop Gate} and turn right at the second gate (Wonderboom Gate) exactly 7km from the first gate - Distance: 97 km
- Drive inside the reserve and follow the sign "Lodges" Distance 7 km
- Welcome to Rhulani Safari Lodge!
- Total travelling time: approximately four-and-a-half to five hours
Travelling by road from Rhulani to Johannesburg & OR Tambo Int'l Airport
- Exit Madikwe Reserve at Wonderboom Gate, turn left and drive to Zeerust
- In Zeerust turn left onto the N4, keep driving on the N4 until you reach Rustenburg and then Pretoria (towards N1)
- Once in Pretoria, take the N1 south and then later take the R21 (to OR Tambo Int'l Airport)
- Keep to the speed limit, especially when it drops down from 120km to 80km and 60km. The traffic officials are often at these spots including the small villages where the speed limit is 60km.
- The best bathroom facilities en route will be at the Wimpy in Swartruggens or Zeerust.
- If your vehicle takes unleaded fuel, fill up in Zeerust (as you will have another 200km before you return) as the petrol stations between Zeerust and Madikwe are often out of unleaded fuel.
- Please enter in contact with our front of house at the day of your arrival, especially if you arrive after 2pm, so that we can organize for you the activities and meals for the remaining time of the day.
- Should you have any trouble while on the road, please contact the lodge direct on +27 82 907 9628 – our staff will do their best to assist you.
- Do you want to get a feeling of how the road looks like? Watch the second episode of Rhulani Insights video blog, in which owner Rolf is driving to Rhulani.
Road transfer from Johannesburg or Gaborone to Rhulani
Our arriving guests have the option to book a road transfer to Rhulani from Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport, Johannesburg city (including surrounding areas) and from Gaborone. Please contact our Front of House and we will eagerly assist you with the reservation.
The indicative rates for road transfers can be found in our Rates section, Road transfer service is subject to availability.
Air transfer from Johannesburg to Madikwe
Rhulani's arriving guests have the option to book an air transfer with Federal Airlines (daily scheduled flight) from Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport to the western airstrip of Madikwe. Our staff will be awaiting your arrival at the airstrip at no extra charge and bring you to the lodge, which is 20 minutes away and will already be your first safari. Please contact our Front of House and we will eagerly assist you with the reservation.
The indicative rates for air transfers can be found in our Rates section, Air transfer service is subject to availability.
Guests who arrive by helicopter can land directly at the lodge as Rhulani has its own helicopter pad. Please make your arrangement with our Front of House well in advance.