Is Self-Drive possible in Madikwe?
One question our guests ask us from time to time: “Can I use my own car and drive around in Madikwe Reserve myself, looking for the animals?
The answer to this question is quite short: "No". Madikwe Game Reserve is a private game reserve, which has set itself the goal to offer our guests an unforgettable experience with the African bush. This includes many aspects, such as:
- strict limitation of vehicles in the reserve to ensure privacy and tranquility in the bush (each lodge has a limited number of concessions to use vehicles for their game drive with guests)
- clear rules of behaviours in sightings and maximum vehicles allowed (organized by the ranger in charge)
- respect for the animals (we keep distance to not disturb them)
- conservation of nature and the environment (no waste)
- increase of awareness among our guests about the ecosystem, the animals and the challenges they are facing (provided by explanations of qualified rangers who lead the safaris)
- no day tourists allowed to enter the reserve (visitors must have a reservation in one of the lodges)
As a result of all the above objectives, it is only logical that a "Self-Drive" is not possible. But that should not be a bad message. As a Rhulani guest, enjoy the beauty of nature on our open, comfortable landcruiser, learn more about Madikwe’s wildlife from your ranger and enjoy a delicious aperitif in the bush with an African sunset.
There is still a small final note to add: If you arrive with your private car at the gate of Madikwe (use the Wonderboom Gate), it is allowed for you to drive the last 7 kilometers inside the reserve on an earthy road from the gate to Rhulani Safari Lodge. That will be your only self-drive, and maybe you meet your first elephant on the road (as it happened to our owner Rolf, look here). This road is actually in a good state and you do not need a special vehicle. Then, just let us park your car at the lodge and leave it there until the end of your stay.
“SABA is able to surprise us every time and pushes us one notch up“
Once more we had the privilege to have Mr. Braam West from the South African Butler Academy…Read more
Rhulani Safari Lodge wins 2023 Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Award
Rhulani Safari Lodge today announced it has been recognized by Tripadvisor as a 2023…Read more
Next successful stage of "Rhulani NEXT" completed
Time flies fast. What a boring statement. But all the more exciting is our project, called…Read more